Saturday, August 25, 2012

New costume // Shout out!

So, as you're all aware, I love costuming and I am suuuuuper strict on how I want my costumes to look when I commission/buy them. (I would say make, but I have yet to actually try to learn how to sew yet. That is probably going to be my New Year's resolution for 2013.) Well, I wasn't sure what to get together for Halloween this year but after a few suggestions from Facebook friends and thinking it over, I'm going to try and get together a Katniss Everdeen costume!

The one I'm specifically going for is probably one of the most recognizable ones, mainly since it is worn for most of the movie. I'll be making her arena costume as seen below.



Yup! I've already found some boots that look really close to the ones in the movie and I've also found an archery company that makes replicas of Katniss' district bow as well as the silver bow used in the arena; I see archery lessons in my future! The pants and shirt should be pretty simple and I already have the pin. I think the hardest part, for me, is going to be the hair. Not only is my hair not long enough nor the right color, but I have no idea how to do any kind of french braids. I'll be keeping an eye out for a good quality wig to help me out here. The jacket I can get through Think Geek or Amazon so I'm keeping an eye on that and waiting for it to come back in stock. As far as the quiver, I'm not too sure how to handle that one yet!

So I'll keep you posted on the progress of Katniss and show you the finish product at Halloween! Anyone else planning on doing a Hunger Games costume? If so, comment below!

Also I'd like to give a shout out to two close friends of mine, Ryan and Ashley Denton. This couple are seriously some fun people to hang around and their costumes are awesome! If you've happened to see pictures from Phoenix Comicon (or maybe ran into me) this past year, you may have noticed that I was walking around with this badass Dark Knight Rises Bane. That was Ryan in that mask and let me tell you that's the most accurate Bane I've seen to date! His beeautiful wife, Ashley, has also completed a Captain America USO which she debuted at San Diego Comicon 2012. Both of them have some more costumes in the works and you should check them out! They have a Facebook page where you can follow their costuming endeavors!

RAD Costuming

That's all for now! Hope you all are enjoying the posts! Also if there's something you guys would like for me to talk about one week (let's try to keep it on the geeky side ;) ) then post a comment below or on my twitter page @geekyambitions!

No comments:

Post a Comment