Sunday, July 8, 2012

Costuming: Why are you judging my hobby?

So, as all my friends know, I wear costumes and I have a huge wish list of the costumes I'd love to do despite my inability to sew or anything that is required in order to make them. I do it for fun (Halloween is my favorite holiday of the year after all), but most importantly I love the charity work that I can do in those costumes. Bringing smiles to children's faces and raising money for the various organizations out there (ie. American Cancer Society, Phoenix Children's Hospital, etc.) brings a certain sense of fulfillment to me because I am helping those in need, while at the same time bringing joy and awe to others. Of course, I still do other events that are simply for enjoyment. I am sometimes in costume because I am a fan of whatever character I happen to be dressed up as and the universe said character is in. In a way, I'm showing my support to the artists/creators/what have you who had the incredible talent to come up with the design of this costume that I attempt to replicate authentically.

Therefore when I see people harping on the hobby, I can't help but be disappointed and irked. I recently saw some picture on Facebook of a conversation on another costumer's page. In short, the guy was rude and told him he was a weirdo who liked to dress up as a cartoon character or something. He was ultimately blocked off of that person's page in the end, but I couldn't help but feel pretty perturbed by it.

We all have hobbies and while my interests may not match yours, I still respect whatever it is you spend your free time doing. However, when that respect is not returned it down right pisses me off. Do I come to your baseball games and call you a big dumb jock or go to your Dungeons and Dragons meeting and call you a bunch of lame ass nerds? Then what gives you the right to go around making fun of me because I like to dress up in costume and go to Comicon or do charity work in costume? There are various hobbies out there, some a little more unique than others, and I feel that anyone making fun of any hobby is just absurd. Without hobbies, our lives would be mundane and boring. We would continue to go through our lame routine out in the "real" world. I find hobbies to be an escape from the normal routine where you can thoroughly enjoy whatever it is you decide to do. Whether it's from playing violin, making jewelry, costuming, playing sports, reading, or writing, I feel we all should be able to do whatever we damn well please with our spare time without being judged.

Just saying! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment